"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength." Deuteronomy 6:5



Saturday, November 18, 2006

My career

Prior to returning back to work, I did alot of thinking about my job. I really didn't want to go back. I felt like I was stuck doing the same thing over and over again. I work part time and I am very specialized doing one kind of thing. But inorder to be promoted to manager, I need a wide variety of experiences and knowledge. I have asked for those experiences, but didn't get it because from a business perspective, the firm have no benefit in giving me the kind of experience I want and need. Since I do my job so well, they are more profitable if they keep me doing what I am doing instead of letting me do something I am not so familiar with. So they need manager with more experiences, but they can't give me those experiences. That means I can't be promoted there. Which means I should leave. I have been looking around and interviewing. Companies don't like to hire part timer. With Joshie not doing so well at day care, I don't feel comfortable working full time and starting a new job right now. I feel really stuck. I have also been thinking about going back to school to get a master degree. But that's another issue.

When I switched to part time to have more balance in family life, I thought I can still progress in my career. But recently I just realized that I am not going anywhere. It's no different than giving it up. I don't mind giving up my career to raise a family, but I guess I wasn't prepared to give it up. It caught me by surprise. I thought it would still progress but just slowly. Now I have no motivation in going to work. So I have been praying for God to change my attitude. Since there is no job out there for part timer, I feel like God is telling me to stay at this firm.

1 comment :

Unknown said...

Hang in there Kitty!