"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength." Deuteronomy 6:5



Sunday, June 01, 2014

First Half Marathon

Life has been so hectic that I forgot to document this event.  I am so proud that I was able to accomplish such a long run.  I've heard that did it, but never thought that I could.  I went from not being able to run a block to running 13.1 miles.  Every mile was a blessing from the Lord, but it is not without hard work and dedication.  Craving out time to run 4 - 5 times a week for training is not easy, especially trying to juggle the kids and their activities.  Sometimes I have to get up at 4:30 am to run, much like athletes who are dedicated to their sport.   The discipline is so good for me, it motivates me to be more discipline in other areas of my life.  But more importantly, the endorphins keep me positive.  I am not as pessimistic and I do not hold on to my frustration as long.  I think I might be addicted to the positive feeling that I get from running and exercising. It's been a year since I've consistently exercise for at least 4 times a week, it's become such an integral part of me now.
After this race, I am more motivated to run.  I am tempted to run a marathon, but just fearful of the time commitment.  Now that I know how far I am push my body, I can try to run a bit faster.

A lot of people asked me how I got started and how I am able to make such a drastic change.  Since not many people see my small changes, people thinks that I had a drastic change overnight.  Changes that I made were not so drastic, it's the little changes that add together to become a life changing thing.  At the beginning in October 2012, I just decided to eat better and cut out carb and sugar for a week.  After a week, I decided to do two weeks.  When I got good weight lost result, 8 pounds in two weeks, I was motivated to keep on making good food choices.  Then, in December, after all the holiday eating, I felt like I needed to exercise.  So I started with Zumba because I love dancing.  After a few months, I no longer get a good sweat out of Zumba.  So I tried Body Compat and Body Pump at 24 hrs Fitness.  I LOVED IT!  It lets me get all my frustration and aggression out.  After my work out, I felt like a new person. That's when I started to love the positive feeling that endorphins caused.  Which then, leads me to work out 5 days a week.  After I reached my first weight loss goal of 30 pounds, I was more motivated to exercise because I still wanted to lose more weight, but my body was slowing down.  I knew I needed to add variety to my exercise routine.  One day, I decided to try the treadmill, a machine that I don't particularly like.  But I tell myself that I will use it for 20 mins.  After 20 mins, I felt great, so I continued for another 10 mins.  That day I ran 2.5 miles.  Then, I set a goal to run 5K.  I took myself to Lake Merritt and ran the entire lake.  The first time was tough because afterward I was a bit dizzy.  But that showed me that I can do more.  As I ran more, the more ambitious I got and set higher and higher goals. That's how I started on my healthier lifestyle.  It's the little choices that I made that lead me to this.  BUT more importantly, it's the divine intervention of Jesus that I am able to be so disciplined because I am not a discipline person.  It's the events and situations that came together as a part of His plan that I am able to make small changes.  In October 2012, my work caused me deep emotional distress that made me depressed and started to affect the family. God knew that I needed the release and the positive mind set.  I was depressed because I felt defeated like a failure.  God reminded me that I wasn't who the manager claimed that I was and through exercising, I found my strength, both physically and spiritually.  Exercising changed my life and saved my sanity.  Also, God knew that I needed a friend to keep me going, so he brought me a running partner who has the same drive and ability.  All this was in His plan. 

No comments :