"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength." Deuteronomy 6:5



Sunday, December 12, 2010

Eating like a local

We have one free day in Kunming before all the activities. We thought we would explore the city and find some good eats. Our first meal was in a restaurant that serves American and Chinese food. We spent $20, so it's like Chinatown prices. Hebron thought that we shouldn't have to spend that much a meal if we eat like the locals. So our search for local food begins. Noodle soup shouldn't be hard to find. So we took the boys on a walk, in the rain, to find lunch. We walked many many blocks but no food in sight. The streets are filled with cell phone stores and clothing stores. Finally, we saw some people caring take out boxes, so we walk toward that direction. We found a small noodle shop selling only rice noodle soup with chicken for 6 RMB ($1 is 6.6rmb). The store resembles a street vendor. Order is taken in one window and food is picked up in another. Then you can add any toppings you want. I opted not to add any topping since the items were sitting out for who knows how long and people might have their hands in it. Since the soup is hot, it should be safe to eat. The locals ate there sitting on little stools on the street. Hebron was looking after the boys, so I had to handle four soups while people behind me is speaking in loud voices and pushing me forward as the line is getting long. We decided that it was better to bring back and eat at the hotel. It was such an adventure that I don't think I want to do it again.  Bring it back to the hotel to eat is both comfortable and safe.


When the boys was napping, Hebron went exploring for a noodle house that will serve us, like in Chinatown. He came back saying that he found a noodle house and a large food court area. Great! No more street food. So we went to the food court looking for dinner. Most vendors are selling food that I don't recognize and they lay it all out in the open. I opted not to eat it because it looked unsafe and again it is self served. So we went to the noodle house since we saw waiters and people sitting and being served. The place was full so we have to venture upstairs. The waiter told us that you have to order downstairs and get a receipt. Ok, perhaps then they will bring food to us. So I went to downstairs to order. Of course the menu is in Chinese with no picture. I only have limited ability to read traditional Chinese and they write in simplified Chinese. It seems like everyone was eating noodle in red soup, which means it it spicy. So I have to be careful not to order those. I was finally able to figure out that they have mushroom chicken noodle soup, so I ordered three bowls, a total of 18 RMB. I then took my receipt upstairs and gave it to the waiter. She looked at my receipt and told me that I have to downstairs to pick up my food. Are you kidding me? After all that I have to serve myself again. So I ventured downstairs again and saw that there are three pickup windows. I choose one and they motioned me to another one. Then I moved over, the guy was asking me some questions that I don't understand. After repeating a few times, I finally figured out from context that he is asking me do I want thick or thin noodle. I watched him prepare the food and he put a whole spoon full of white powder in before he poured in the soup. What the heck is that? Perhaps powder MSG? I hope it is not melamine. Because the soups are so huge Hebron had to bring them upstairs. After all the excitement, I was no longer hungry. Not sure why we were not served and others were. Maybe I ordered the wrong thing. Well, no more eating like the locals. I will have to post pix after I get back because I can't go over my data allowance.

No comments :