"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength." Deuteronomy 6:5



Thursday, December 16, 2010

Adjustment is tough

Just like child birth, I tried to be prepared for the adoption journey by reading a lot of books. But no book prepared me emotionally for how hard things are. On the first day, I shared that she is calm, does not cry much, and a good sleeper. Well, all that changed. Everything seemed to have gone down hill slowly on a daily basis. On the first day, I only have to be in the room with her. On the second day, I have to sit next to her or else she will cry. On the third day, sitting next to her is not enough, I have to hold her. Now the fourth day, holding her is no longer enough, I have to walking around while holding her. Otherwise, she will scream and get frustrated. Sleeping is bad too. On the first night she fell asleep by herself. On the second night, she cried alittle. On the third night, she screamed at the top of her lungs for 30 mins so I would pick her up. And I did. Tonight she again cried and needed help going to sleep. She also sleeps a lot less. The most tiresome part is that she requires only me to care for her. She wouldn' t let Hebron come near her. I can't do anything but holding her and be by her side. I have things to do that I can't do because she needs my 24 hrs attention. I want to care for the boys too, but I can't. As soon as I step a few inches away from her, she cries. Honestly, I am a little emotionally drained. She cries constantly now. The weird thing is that the foster family and orphanage worker said that she is really good, she is calm and plays by herself. She definitely changed and I don't know how to help her. Please, please, please pray that she will form a healthy bond with me and not need me to be by her side all the time. Also pray for patience and endurance on my part. Pray that she will allow Hebron to care for her since I will be back to work in mid January. Also, please pray that she will be fair temper and be able to go to sleep on her own.

2 comments :

Unknown said...

Kitty and Hebron,
I will personally be praying for you re: Karissa's adjustments. It's interesting that the other workers, etc. said that she doesn't cry and plays by herself.
Will be praying that she will get used to Hebron....that's her Daddy...she's got to! :)
I know that God will work everything out....but I know the process for things is rough right now. Hang in there!!
Love you guys and am praying with my whole heart for Karissa's adjustments and yours.

Luv, Kathy and family

KM said...

Thanks Kathy for your prayers. I really felt God's presence and guidance while we were there.