"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength." Deuteronomy 6:5



Friday, January 13, 2017

Pho Ga in Instant Pot (Chicken Pho)


I know there are a lot of Pho Ga recipe for Instant Pot, but I haven't seen a written one that match
exactly what I know how it should be made.

I personally love beef Pho more because the flavor is richer and deeper.  That's because I love beef.  However, there is a time and place for chicken Pho.  It is not as rich and in Chinese, it is clearer, meaning the broth is so light and tasty (I know this dish is not Chinese, but since I am both Chinese and Vietnamese, I often combine the two cultures). There is some kind of healing effect in chicken broth, so I sometime crave this on cold days.  I think that the spices use for chicken and beef Pho should NOT be the same because they are distinctively different. I have made beef Pho with star anise, clove, cinnamon, cardamon, and coriander.  With chicken, I only use coriander seeds and cloves.

The key to this broth is to roast the coriander seeds and cloves and char the onion and ginger.  I used to make broth without charring the onion and ginger and it tasted good.  But a more authentic Vietnamese cook told me to char it to get a deeper flavor.  I have to agree.  I just char on the stove top like this.


Pho Ga in Instant Pot


Broth
2 whole     Onions (one to put in broth, one for topping)
4 inch        Ginger
2 TBS        Coriander seeds
4                Cloves
6-7 lbs       Chicken (parts of whole)
1 cube        Rock sugar (1-2 TBS of regular sugar)
1/3 c           Fish sauce
                   Chicken meat balls (optional)
                   Pho rice noodle (fresh or dry)

Toppings
Green onion chopped
Cilantro chopped
Onion sliced paper thin
Bean sprouts (optional)

1. Wash the chicken and remove as much fat as you can.  I usually also remove skin too but leave some skin on for richer broth.
2. Parboil the chicken in boiling water for 5 mins.  Then rinse them clean.
3. Char the onion and ginger until soft.  Then cool, wash, and peel the burn parts.
4. Roast the spices and put them in a mesh bag and tie it tight.
5. Put chicken, onion, ginger, and spices in the pot.
6. Add in rock sugar, fish sauce, and fill it with water to just below the max line.
7. Cook manually on high pressure for 20 mins.  Then let it naturally release for 10 mins and then quick release.
8. In the mean time, chop up toppings and cook noodle according to instructions.  Soak thinly sliced onion in water so it's not so spicy for kids.
9. Remove the chickens, taste the broth, and add more fish sauce if needed.
10.  Add in chicken meat ball if you like them and use saute function to bring broth to a boil.
11.  Assemble the bowl by putting in noodle, shredded chicken, thinly sliced onion, cilantro, and green onion.  Spoon broth and chicken meat balls over the noodles and serve.





No comments :