"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength." Deuteronomy 6:5



Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Little Engine that Could

I was driving home yesterday in H's old Honda and it stopped three times as I climbed up the steap hill to our house.  It stopped the first time at the first possible left on the long hill.  I thought, "Oh no, is this car breaking down?  We can't get another car."  I then looked at the gas tank and it was empty.  So I turned off the engine and turned it back on hoping that it will go just a little further up.  And it did.  I shifted to second gear hoping it would have enough power to take me up the hill to the traffic light.  It huffed and it puffed and it went up a little more and stopped.  I restarted the engine a few more time and it finally made it up the hill.  It felt like I was in the story the Little Engine that Could.  I was able to turn left at the traffic light and made it to Carson lane.  Then the car completely stopped and can't move even an inch.  It stopped right at the entrance to the short cut that leads to our house.  What a blessing it was that the car made it and I didn't have to walk up the hill.  I only have God to thank for that.

So why did I let the gas tank go to empty?  First, the annoying empty indicator light is broken and it didn't come on.  There are many other reasons, but most of all it's been a busy week.  We are hosting a couple of students from China.  So ever since last Friday I have been running around buying food and other things in preparation for their arrival.  I made sure the fridge is stocked and have enough food to make them different varieties of breakfast and dinner everyday.  H and I have to coordinate who is picking up our kids and the students.  On top of that, H and I switched cars and I usually gas up my car on Wednesday.  Gas station was not on my schedule for Monday and Tuesday.  PTL that the car is not broken.

No comments :