"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength." Deuteronomy 6:5



Friday, July 22, 2011

Already 7 Months?

K has been with us for 7 months already.  It's a short time, even though it felt like she's been with us since birth.  In 7 short months, she adjusted so well that people and doctor can't tell that she spent 10 months in another country, speaking another language.  Like all babies at this age, she has to learn how to communicate with her parents.  On top of that, she has to adopt a new language while she learning to decode what adults are saying.  I have to say she is doing extremely well.  The Pediatrician only expects an 18 month old baby to say three words in the language she was born into.  K is not even 18 months and she is able to say 9 words in two languages, both of which are not what she was born hearing.  So she is developing really well.  PTL for that!  In English, she can say: hi, bye, more, Mommy, and Daddy.  In Cantonese, she can say: hye (shoes), bie (to put), Mama, nie nie (milk), and bay (nose). 

K is a smart girl.  She can understands a lot of things and can figure things out from context.  One time she got into the cabinet and took out the cover to my thermos and played with it.  She hid it amongst the kitchen toys.  I had no idea what she did to it.  I saw that the cover is missing and while holding the thermos, I asked her in Cantonese where is the cover?  She immediately turned around, headed straight to her kitchen toys, found the cover, and brought it back to me.  I don't think she understood every word I said, but she was able to do what I asked her to.  Amazing!  I think most babies wouldn't remember where they put an item, let alone understand what I asked.   She also picks up things we say rather quickly.  Whenever I head to the laundry room or pick up my purse, she will quickly follow me and make sure that I get her shoes for her.  She loves going out so much that whenever I say any of these phases to the boys, she will be the first to head over to the laundry room to put on her shoes: It's time to go, let's go, or put on your shoes.  She is also doing well with the nanny.  She no longer cries hysterically when I leave for work.

2 comments :

mare said...

what a praise that K is doing so well!! sounds like you guys have reached your "new norm" :) she has changed so much since we first saw her!

KM said...

Yes, she has completely adapted to us and the nanny. Thanks again for the shoes. K loves it pink one. She requests to wear it everyday.