"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength." Deuteronomy 6:5



Sunday, January 04, 2009

Tears in my eyes

My friend, Melissa, gave Caleb and Joshie a few gifts yesterday. One of the gift was a set of four books about Christmas. They were all similar and we already had one of it. So I asked Caleb and Joshie to each choose one and save the other one to give away to other children through Operation Christmas Child. My goal was not to take away their things, but to help them realized that they are blessed with many things and they should share it with others. Well, of course no kid wants to give away their things. And since Caleb loves books, he doesn't want to part with any. He cried and said that he likes all of them. So I explained to him that he has a lot of toys and books while other children do not. I told him he can read them all and choose which one to keep, but he still didn't want to give one away. Well, I thought maybe we can try this lesson another year. Maybe when he is older he will understand that not everyone is as blessed as he is. So I went about my morning routine and brushed my teeth. Caleb came into the bathroom with one of the four new books he got and said, "Mommy, I want to send this one away." When I heard that, literally, my eyes where filled with tears. I am so proud of him. I want my children to grow up to be a giving person and to give generously what Christ have so richly blessed us with.

No comments :