"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength." Deuteronomy 6:5



Sunday, September 08, 2013

Counting My Blessing Cont...

As I continue to reflect on all the blessings of my life, it's hard to deny the existent of God and that He has a plan for my life.

5. In my childhood years, God brought many adults, aside from my parents, into my life that actually took an interest in me.  They helped me through difficult situations and mentored me.  Most of them are my high school fellowship sponsor and Sunday School teachers.  And even a non-christian teacher coached me through my awkward teen years.

6. God kept me safe through out all my years in Oakland public school.  In Jr High, when Chinese kids were getting beat up on buses for just being Asian, I was spared.  In high school, a cherry bomb exposed 3 feet in front of me and I graduated without a scratch.

7. In my high school years, I went through a defiance and disobedience stage in life where I didn't want to listen to the wise words of my parents and chose to be the "bad girl". Through that period, God kept me from myself, protected me from harm, and prevented me from getting life threatening diseases.

8. I was the first in my family to go to college, so I had no idea how to prep for that.  I didn't visit any school or talk to anyone about colleges.  But for some reason, I knew that I wanted to go to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.  Perhaps they had a good architectural program that I might be interested in, but in honesty, I wasn't that into architecture after interning at an architecture firm for a few summer.  I was accepted and was all set to go away to San Luis Obispo.  The summer before my freshman year, the doctor told my mom that she needed a hysterectomy due to her tumor.  The surgery was not life threatening, but it will take her about 6 months of recover before she can lift heavy things.  At the time, my family owned a donut shop which required her to lift heavy things and bake and stand on her feet.  When she cannot work, I am her substitute.  The surgery was suppose to be in May, but was pushed back to end of August.  But I was suppose to start college in September.  So that means I may not be able to go since my mom won't be completely recovered.  To make a long story short, God blessed my mom with a really quick recovery that even the doctor was surprised.  Within 3 months she was already working at the store and my aunts in NY came over to help out so I can go to college like I planned.  To me this was a miracle.

9. College was a life transforming time for me.  It was there that I finally chose to live for Christ and started to grow as a Christian.  In my college fellowship, I grew closer to God, learned how to serve Him, and went on missions to learn how to evangelize.  Also, it was there that I met my life partner and mate, H Mak.  I had an awesome college experience and loved it.  Notice I didn't mention anything about my field of study.  Although I did well, the education was not the highlight.

10.  As business student with a concentration in accounting who wants to be in tax, getting a job with one of the Big 5 accounting firm, at the time, was a BIG deal.  Everybody wants it.  But from talking to people and career counselors, big companies usually go for the well rounded student with good grades, lots of extra curricular activities, outgoing and fun personality, and someone who knows how to network and build relationships.  I have the grades and that's about it.  I got through the first round of interview with most big companies.  But during the second round of interview with EY, I did soooo poorly.  I probably said something not so PC.  Then, I ended up leaving a voice mail for the recruiter explaining what I said.  Then, I called back again explaining why I left the first message.  THEN, I called back again explaining my second message.  AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! How stupid was that?!  Even through all that, I got the most coveted job, to start my career at E&Y.  This is all because God wanted me there, definitely not because of my ability or merit. 

More to come next time...

No comments :