"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength." Deuteronomy 6:5



Sunday, October 30, 2011

All Church Camp 2011

We attended All Church Camp mainly because H loves leading a large crowd to worship.  I go because, as a family, I want to support H in an area that God has called him to serve in.  God knew that I needed to rest in His presence, be renewed spiritually, and go before the Lord in genuine worship.  I got plenty of rest physically because after putting the kids down to sleep, we basically have to turn off the light.  Once the light is off, I literally fell asleep in less than 10 minutes.
H and the team did a great job in worship.  They practiced and carefully choose songs that the Chinese and English congregations can sing, at the same time teaching new songs.  They are truly more than instrumental players.  Their voices and sharings led people to focus on God and His greatness.  I had a great time singing my heart out to God.  Here are some of the songs that brought me before my Savior unhindered.







The speaker was wonderful and very practical. He had action item suggestions after every sermon.  He talked about encouragement, forgiveness, integrity, and spiritual gifts.   Every sermon is applicable, but my mind kept thinking about the sermon regarding encouragement.    He opened with how encouragement is so important to everyone.  Encouragement is second on the list of what human need from each other.  Number one is a listening ear.  Love and affection is way down on this list.  This actually got my attention.  Encouragement is the second most important thing in our interaction with people, yet it is not offer much at all.  It's easier to crititize and complain than to encourage.  Even in the secular whole, Charles Schwab stated the following about encouragement:

I consider my ability to arouse enthusiasm among men the greatest asset I possess. The way to develop the best that is in a man is by appreciation and encouragement.

I have yet to find the man, however exalted his station, who did not do better work and put forth greater effort under a spirit of approval than under a spirit of criticism.

Perhaps I was captivated by this because I was criticized by my boss for doing something I didn't think was inappropriate.  Is it really true that if more encouragement is offered that people would perform better than criticism offered as constructive feedback?  I don't know, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Four aspects of encouragement:
1. Complement the faithful
2. Comforting the hurting
3. Challenging the complacent
4. Exhorting the discouraged

Techniques for encouragement:
1. A spoken word
2. A written word
3. A listenigh ears
4. A gentle touch
5. Hospitality
6. A thoughful gift
7. Acts of service
8. Prayers
9. A warm smile

No comments :